What is Vastu Shastra ?
Vaastu is an ancient Indian science of architecture and buildings which helps in making a congenial setting or a place to live and work in a most scientific way taking advantage of the benefits bestowed by nature, its elements and energy fields for enhanced wealth, health, prosperity and happiness.
Vastu Shastra unifies the science, art, astronomy and astrology, it can also be said as an ancient mystic science for designing and building. Vastu Shastra helps us to make our lives better and will secure from things going wrong.
Vaastu is the science of directions that combines all the five elements of nature and balance them with the man and the material. Vaastu Shastra is creating a congenial settings or a place to live or work, in most scientific way taking advantages of the benefits bestowed by the five elements called "Paanchbhootas" of the nature thereby paving the way for enhanced health, wealth, prosperity and happiness in an enlightened environment.
Our sages and seers have knew the secrets of using all the five elements of this universe and their special characteristics and influences such as the magnetic field, gravitational effect etc. of Earth, the galaxy in the sky, the directions and velocity of the winds, light and heat of the SUN including the effects of its Ultra-Violet and Infra-Red rays, the volume and intensity of rainfall etc. for the advantage of the mankind in suitably planning and constructing buildings for dwelling, prayer, entertainment , education , working , production and other purposes . They evolved scientific methods and systems and confined them over the years as 'VAASTU SHASTRA'. Our sages SEARCHED it; we are only RESEARCHING it and building the concepts.
Man is the subject, object and the cause of architecture. He perceives and conceives architecture in relation to his experience of himself with the surrounding world. Through art of design, he alters and moulds the elements of natural environment. The world comprises of five basic elements, also known as the Paanchbhootas. They are Earth, Water, Air, Fire and Space. Out of the nine planets, our planet has life because of the presence of these five elements. Earth and Water have limited and localized availability for the human habitat and growth. They form apparent and fundamental choice makers in the location and the physical form of architecture and habitat. Sun, Air and Space are universally available and can be moulded to human needs by the act of design. In order to understand the act of design with these five elements, we shall have to take each one separately to appreciate their meaning, role, and workability in architecture.
Directions play an important role in Vastu. Right knowledge of direction is very important to make a building structure according to vaastu. In the olden days people who needed to check the directions very minutely, used to see the shadow of sun.
Directions play an important role in Vastu. Right knowledge of direction is very important to make a building structure according to vaastu. In the olden days people who needed to check the directions very minutely, used to see the shadow of sun. In the modern technical world the instrument called magnetic compass is used to check the directions. In the total there are 10 directions but to check with compass only 8 directions are available. Compass has 360 degrees in total with its radius. Every direction is allotted 45 degrees. For every direction, checking the level of degree is very important.
In total there are ten directions four are main directions i.e.
In Vastu, 9th direction is Space and 10th direction is Patal
Four are sub directions, which are always in corners
- Northeast (Ishan) In the center of South and East.
- Southeast (Agneya) In the center of South and East.
- Southwest (Nirutya) In the center of South and West.
- Northwest (Vayaya) In the center of North and West.
DIRECTIONS : A Glimpse
North: North is a very good direction. The owner of this direction is Kuber. Kuber is a Hindu deity and is known for wealth & prosperity. This direction is called wealth and career direction. The planet for this direction is Buddha.
The Vaastu Purush’s chest & breast area occupies the north direction. This direction should always be more open, beautiful, light & less burdened due to the body parts of Vaastu purush.
The today’s logical interpretation of the intellectual vaastu consultants’ states that North direction, which has North Pole, provides tremendous positive energy to the whole structure. This energy is very important for every individual/inmates of the building structure. There should be big openings in the North direction to receive the energies of North Pole.
South: South is always considered as a bad direction, but it is not like that. South is the bank for all the good energies of North direction. There should not be big openings in the south. The owner of this direction is YAM. Yam is Hindu deity for death. Big openings from south give problems comparable to death. South’s owner is also in charge of justice, legal affairs. So if you have south defects, be ready for injustice and legal issues in life.
The corresponding planet for this direction is MANGAL. South also affects the growth in financial prospects, business and career. Closed places in south are prosperous. South stores the wealth in the form of energy. Closed and heavy walls in the south direction keep the Yam at bay from the inmates of the house.
East: A very powerful direction. The direction is owned by Lord INDRA.Indra is the Hindu deity responsible for rains, overall prosperity, festivity and power. Indra is very powerful in manipulation. The representative planet for this direction is Lord Sun which itself is a big power that nobody can match. Sun gives growth to life, vegetation etc. So you can call east as direction for growth. After the north, east should be very much open, light & clean. Making heavy walls, not providing the ventilation, doors & windows gives stagnation in life. Making a staircase, accommodating a toilet or a store in the eastern direction is a big vaastu offence. Just mind a punch line obstruction in east can create an obstruction in your life.
West: This direction is known for stability in life. The owner for this direction is Lord Varun . Varun is deity for rain, fame and fate. The corresponding planet for west is a Saturn.Big opening from this direction is not advisable. The east energy,i.e solar energy is not stored in the west if there are big openings. The axis of energy goes east to west as the sun rises from east and sets in the western direction. The west direction is occupied by the lower abdomen, genitals & reproduction organs of the vaastu purush. The openings & entries from this direction are not good. It spoils the prospects of income
Northeast: A wonderful direction, which one can relish. The owner of this direction is itself the supreme deity of Hindus Lord SHIVA. The representative planet for the direction is Brahaspati.this direction gives over all prosperity, health &wealth. Brahaspati, the planet for Northeast gives knowledge & spiritual growth. This is a good direction for scholars 7 students. Northeast is a very pious direction. It is a very sensitive direction. In my experience 60% of vaastu principles lie in northeast direction. A very powerful axis of magnetic energy starts from the Northeast to Southwest. Creating a toilet in this area is blunder, it can spoil the family health or if it is a business place it can ruin the whole business. Bedrooms, stores toilet & heavy structures should be avoided in the Northeast. Creating a fire element in this area gives accidents.
Southeast: A well-wisher who is very sensitive, angry in nature, the same is the nature of Southeast direction. Southeast is owned by Lord Agnidev, the Hindu deity, which represents fire. The representative planet for this direction is Shukra.
The sun, which is a life giver to this universe, is at its harsh mood when it comes in this direction. The infrared rays are emitted from the sun when it reaches the southeast. This is the hottest place/phase of the Lord Sun. This heat is compared to the fire. Southeast is always allocated for fire related works. Fire being very potent & have lots of anti elements like water & air. So one should be careful while placing the other elements with fire. The use of Southeast is a delicate matter.
Southwest: : This direction is owned by a demon called NIRITI. The corresponding planet for Southwest is Rahu. This is the strongest direction in the plot as it shows magnetic energies flowing from Northeast. Right usage of Southwest gives a strong & healthy life. It can give you confidence, wealth and health. Southwest can give you name and fame in life, but if Southwest is not according to vaastu, it can bring many problems to the inmates of the structure. Bad Southwest can make the conditions worst; it can make finances in the reverse flow. Bad Southwest can bring behavioral issues like depression, anxiety, suicidal feelings etc. Bad Southwest can make people feel low & energy loss in working place even. It can give conception problems in the family. If the Southwest is highest in your building that means your happiness and self-esteem is highest.
Northwest: The owner of this direction is VAYUDEV. The Hindu deity for Vayu. The wind element is affected. The wind element is affected. The planet of this direction is moon. The place in Northwest is very unstable since it is powered by wind element. This direction creates opportunities in the life. If it is powerful and complementary the vaastu principles it can take ones career to big heights. Wrong usage of Northwest gives instability, confusion in the mind & lots of diseases. It can also create restlessness in the inmates.
Vastu Tips for main Door
Auspicious Vastu Tips for Entrance/Main Door [DO’s & DON’Ts]
Main or Entrance Door Vastu – Effect of Directions
North: If you want to locate the entrance door in North wall of a home, then make sure the door is in North-East section of North wall. The reason for this is to allow morning sun (UV Rays for purification), fresh light and air to enter the home from East. Also keep the door towards center of wall (not exactly at center) and locate a window near North-East corner.
South: If you want to locate entrance of a home in South wall, then locating the door towards South-East is auspicious; avoid having the door at center or South-West portion of wall. For all houses having main door in South direction, it’s must to have another door in North direction also.
East: To locate main entrance door in East wall, vastu suggests keeping it in North-East part.
West: North-West half of West wall is more suitable for main entrance as per vastu.
What Are YOU Going To Learn Here:
- Main or Entrance Door Vastu: Effect of Directions
- Vastu Tips for Main or Entrance Door: What to Do
- Vastu Tips for Main or Entrance Door: What to Avoid
Vastu Shastra has great importance for entrance door in a home, as this is the place from where energies, either positive or negative, enter and exit a house. Having said this, it is obvious that if more negative energies are entering a home from main door then people in the house will not prosper. On the other hand if more positive energy is entering a home then the residents will prosper.
Before you read any further, I assume that you already are aware of vastu shastra.
Now, let’s continue our discussion on main entrance vastu; the most important part regarding entrance door of a home is direction, hence before looking at other vastu tips for main door, I want you to have a look at auspicious directions for entrance in a house.
Above diagram helps you identify best locations for entrance door for a house as per vastu shastra.
Having located directions for main entrance as per vastu shastra, let’s have a look at more vastu tips for main door.
Vastu Tips for Main or Entrance Door: What to Do
- Make the main door of a home the largest door.
- A two shuttered main door opening inside and clockwise is auspicious.
- Use very good quality wood for main entrance.
- Make sure that main door is noise free while opening or closing.
- Always keep entrance door well lit with bright lights. If possible, put brightly colored name plate on entrance of a home; this attracts prosperity, wealth and happiness.
- Have a threshold at main door; it makes sure that you avoid loss of wealth.
- Always have some beautiful design and paint on main door. In other words avoid keeping main door dull and drab.
- Make the main door a bit higher than ground level and keep number of steps odd.
- Main door must be above ground level and not below in any case.
- Best option is to have two main doors in a home, one for entry and another for exit having two and one shutters respectively.
- Make exit door smaller than entrance one.
- Locate entrance at least a feet away from any corner.
- Immediately replace cracked or aged doors to avoid tough time and loss of respect.
- Make sure that total number of door and windows in a house are even (e.g. 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.) and not end with 0 (such as, 10, 20, 30 etc.
Vastu Tips for Main or Entrance Door: What to Avoid
- Avoid slanting, sliding or circular opening entrances.
- Avoid having main door facing directly to another home’s main entrance.
- Avoid main door directly facing a compound wall.
- Avoid underground tank, septic tank etc. under a home’s main door.
- Avoid any shadows on main door especially shadows of other buildings, plants etc.
- Don’t keep shoes in front of main entrance, keep them at a side.
- Don’t keep garbage or dustbin near main entrance as they emit negative energy.
- Avoid automatic closing main doors.
- Avoid main entrance facing intersecting roads.
- Avoid main door at center of any wall.
- Avoid black color for main door.
- Avoid temples or any other religious place directly in-front of main entrance.
- Avoid obstructing things like poles, trees, wires etc, in front of main entrance.
- Avoid arched windows and doors as they distort positive energy pattern.
I sincerely hope that you will follow these vastu tips for entrance and main door and make your home entrance a very auspicious one.
- Setting television in the bedroom area is not recommended.
- Keep the plants and water sport far from your bedroom
- Never split bed sheet and bed mattresses
- Set your house furniture in the form of circle, square, or as octagon.
- Keep the corners bright.
- It is good to fix an image of bright sun in the southern wall of the living area.
- Construct your bedroom, where wind must blow from south to west.
- Your house dinning hall must never get exposed to the entrance door of the house.
- Setting a mirror in the kitchen room is not recommended.
- Do not place the mops and brooms in the kitchen.
- It is good to keep the doors of your toilet and bathroom closed most the time.
- It is good to set your windows opened towards out face.
- Growing of pricking plants like cactus in your house is not advisable and recommended.
- It is good to place the fish aquarium in the southeast corner in your living area.
- It is good to stick a happy family photograph or picture inside your living room.
- Growing of high trees such as Bangan, Thorny, and Pipal trees is not good and recommended.
- Ensure that the lift gate is not set in face of the entry main gate of your house.
- Building your house rooms in shape of oval, circle, or triangle is strictly not advisable.
- Your house should never be in disturbed by any obstructive buildings.
- Ensure that your house is good with right air circulation and water source.
- Your latrine seat must be kept facing towards northern south.
- It is good to sit facing the doorway, while you sit in your office.
- It is good to set a mountain wallpaper behind you in your office.
- Never keep a ladder that faces towards west or north, as it makes waste of money.
- Never wear torn clothing or withered flowers as these will prevent the Goddess Lakshmi entering into the home.
- The apt direction for constructing children's room is west. Apart from that, west, northwest, northeast and southeast directions can also be used for constructing kids' room. Totally avoid the southwest direction.
- In a kid's room, the bed can be placed in the southwest corner. Place the bed in such a way that your child has his/ her head facing the east or south direction, while sleeping.
- As a part of Vastu guidelines for children room, it is recommended to avoid placing the mirror on the opposite side of the bed.
- If you want to keep furniture items in a children’s room, keep them a few inches away from the wall. Don't have the furniture attached to the wall, as it obstructs the flow of positive energy.
- The study desk should be placed in such a manner that the child faces east, north or northeast corner while studying. East is the most appropriate direction, as it paves way for enhanced concentration.
- Avoid placing a television or computer directly opposite the bed. The television set or the computer monitor, when switched off, reflects the bed, just like a mirror, and is a bad omen.
- If you must have a mirror and a television in the bedroom, have them either on the left or the right side of the bed.
- The door to children’s room should not be exactly opposite to the bed. Rather, try placing it an angle from the door.
- Sharp edges and pointing nooks comprise of something that is better avoided in children's room.
- The center of kids' room should always be empty. Try to avoid placing something in there.
- The almirahs and cabinets should always be located in south or west direction of the room.
- Up-lighters, when placed in the southeast corner of children’s room, help promote health and generate positive energy.
- Sharp lights as well as spot lights should never ever be used in kids' room, as they tend to create mental strain.
- The doors as well as windows of children's room are best designed in the east or north. The windows should be opposite to the door.
- Green color proves the best for kids' room, as it is associated with freshness and peace and increases brain power as well.
2016 Vastu Grah Pravesh Dates
|Griha Pravesh Dates
||Griha Pravesh Muhurat
||Nakshatra For Grahpravesh
||Tithi For Grahpravesh
|11th February (Thursday)
||21:46 to 31:17+
|12th February (Friday)
||07:17 to 19:09
|17th February (Wednesday)
||07:12 to 14:44
|24th February (Wednesday)
||07:05 to 24:54+
|26th February (Friday)
||21:12 to 30:58+
|29th February (Monday)
||12:47 to 28:21+
|04th March (Friday)
||18:02 to 29:41+
|09th March (Wednesday)
||16:31 to 30:47+
|10th March (Thursday)
||06:47 to 28:12+
|14th March (Monday)
||07:42 to 24:41+
|24th March (Thursday)
||11:36 to 31:27+
|25th March (Friday)
||07:27 to 14:40
|28th March (Monday)
||07:23 to 19:11
|01st April (Friday)
||22:03 to 27:56+
|04th May (Monday)
||25:20+ to 30:40+
|05th November (Saturday)
||25:46+ to 30:53+
|10th November (Thursday)
||15:26 to 21:42
|11th November (Friday)
||18:53 to 30:59+
|12th November (Saturday)
||06:59 to 11:01
|16th November (Wednesday)
||07:03 to 20:11
|23rd November (Wednesday)
||07:09 to 21:51
|03rd December (Saturday)
||13:54 to 21:38
|08th December (Thursday)
||13:06 to 31:22+
||Uttara Bhadrapada, Revati
|09th December (Friday)
||07:22 to 20:59
|19th December (Monday)
||26:45+ to 31:13+
|22nd December (Thursday)
||10:55 to 31:31+